BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, May 23, 2008

Crabbing!


One of my friends from work is constantly telling me that my friends have cool jobs. Attorneys, lobbyists, linguists, journalists, congressional staffers, etc. But this week's "Coolest Job Award" goes to ... Kellee Koenig! A couple weeks ago, Kellee mentioned that through her connections at work (she's a cartographer), she was in contact with a biologist from UDel who was conducting a census of horseshoe crabs on some beaches in the Delaware Bay. The first time I heard about it, she was planning on including the census in a mid-week campout, which I knew I wasn't going to be able to pull off, so I kind of forgot about it. Plans changed though, as they often do, and Monday night I found myself squished in the back seat of the car between Eric & Ryan on the way to Delaware.
Now, to be perfectly honest, before we got in the car I don't think I could have identified a horseshoe crab from a lineup of 20 of the usual suspects. I did know that the species had been around for millions of years, but that's pretty much all I knew. That didn't last long.

(And see, now YOU know what horseshoe crabs look like too!)


We made it to the beach about 4 hours early, so we decided to hunt down some dinner. The local that we met on the beach kept telling us that "There ain't nothin' in South Bawrs" (and in case you were wondering, his "Bawrs" is actually spelled "Bowers"), so we headed north to Dover.

Liberty Bell replica in front of the state capitol. Just before we rang it and ran.

Our next stop was a fabulous seafood dinner at some local place we passed on the highway. Can't quite remember the name. Favorite part of the meal itself: baked carrot souffle. Anyone have a recipe?


Kellee, me, Eric, Ryan, Randy in front of a giant propeller.


We finally met up with Dr. Hall, who explained to us more about horseshoe crabs and why on earth there were a 100+ people scattered over beaches in Jersey, Delaware and Maryland in the middle of the night to count the things. Do the research or call me if you really want to know. Here's evidence of our adventure:

Me and the horseshoe crab. Upside down.

Kellee, me, Ryan and the horseshoe crab that leaked on him. Ugh.

Spawning crabs. What else can I say?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

And why exactly were you counting crabs?? We want to know! (and we want to come too!)
-Sarah and Spencer

Unknown said...

now..was that crab leakage just water? or was it...well..you know..?

Lanelle Barber said...

I've decided that you have a really interesting life. In a good way.

Angela said...

That looks so cool! I'm still bummed I missed you coming to Philadelphia..it ended up not being an extremely busy week. Looks like you had a lot of fun though! Hopefully we'll catch you soon. Did I tell you that Kimberly is in Virginia too? Maybe one of these days we can all meet up in DC. Oh, this past weekend I was playing a 'deer hunt' game with my son. Couldn't help but think of you & those two crazy guys we called friends!