BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

words of wisdom

Student 1: "ms. chamberlain, is Jewish a religion or a race?"
Student 2: "it's a religion right? because i'm Jewish, but that doesn't mean i'm from Jew-land"

when i required students to send me a message from our online grade system so i knew they had logged in to their grades:
"hi ms. chamberlain this is amber i am just emailing you because you told me to and i really don't
have anything else to talk about so.. yeah im going to go now."

"i think white people with dreads look like they need to pour water on it. like it looks like sawdust"

prior to the first parent-teacher conference: "MRS. chamberlain, i'm excited you get to meet my parents tonight. you'll recognize them because my dad is really tall and my mom looks just like me."
my (internal) response: "i'll also recognize them because they're white."

"ms. chamberlain, are Africans considered African-American?"

and the follow-up question: "if a white American guy marries an African woman, are their kids African-American?"

"ms. chamberlain, your eyelashes are blond on top!!!" (after i've spent 3 minutes lecturing her on some behavioral infraction.)


despite all the drama, these little gems always just make my day

3 comments:

Thoughtful said...

Love it! They really do make you laugh, don't they. Ah, DC.

Craig and Erin said...

Hello long-lost cousin! I am so excited that you are going back to school. I'm looking forward to the day when I can go back - I guess Staggs must have a genetic school-loving mutation... I do check the cousin blog occasionally and the Stagg reunion this year is the weekend of July 17-18. Unfortunately, I am working that weekend, but we are coming to Cody's wedding! Looking forward to seeing you!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog entry about font stuff. I work on websites for the university I attend, and always enjoy reading about typography.