BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Buona Pasqua!

Happy Easter!



After a very thoughtful lesson last Sunday by our fabulous home teachers, I've taken some time this week to contemplate the significance of Holy Week and Easter. The first thing that came to mind was one Easter season about 13 years ago, coming home from Merry Miss with what I considered to be the perfect Easter lesson to present at Family Home Evening. I had a basket of plastic Easter eggs, boldly numbered from #1-12 with a thick black Sharpie. Instead of robin eggs or Cadbury mini-eggs (my aforementioned favorite), each egg was filled with the following:


  1. Three dimes - Judas received 30 pieces of silver (Matthew 26:14-16)

  2. Cracker - last supper (Matthew 26:17-29)

  3. Chocolate kiss - Judas betrayed Christ with a kiss (Matthew 26:47-49)

  4. Feather - Peter denied Christ three times before the cock crew (Matthew 26:69-75)

  5. Soap - Pilate washed his hands of the blood of Christ (Matthew 27:24)

  6. Purple cloth - they put a purple robe on Jesus (Matthew 27:28)

  7. Thorn - a crown of thorns was placed upon Christ's head (Matthew 27:29)

  8. Nail - they nailed him to the cross (John 19:18-19)

  9. Piece of sponge soaked in vinegar - when Christ asked for a drink he was given a sponge with vinegar (John 19:28-30)

  10. Rock - Jesus' body was laid in a tomb (Matthew 27:57-60)

  11. Piece of tape - after Christ's death the tomb was sealed (Matthew 27:65-66)

  12. Empty egg - this represents the empty tomb after Christ had risen (Matthew 28:1-9)

As a teacher, I can really appreciate the value of tangible symbols in teaching a concept, especially to adolescents. Producing a nail or a vinegar-drenched sponge from a traditionally sugar-filled plastic egg will forcibly turn thoughts to the scourging and crucifixion of our Savior. However, it is the twelfth egg which strikes me as profoundly significant. After the deep, infinite suffering in the Garden; after the scourging and public humiliation inflicted; after feeling the Spirit withdrawn and the full weight of the world resting upon his weary shoulders, the Savior of the world died. It was not, however, the final death that many in the world fear. Instead, after three days, the Savior rose from the tomb and again walked and talked with his disciples.


But why? As hard as it is to comprehend the basic plot line of the Passion, it is harder still to comprehend the immense love that Christ had for each one of us, and the plan that would require his great suffering. For now, let it suffice to say that I am overcome with gratitude when I think of this sacrifice. It is only through His sacrifice that I may be saved from my sins and ultimately perfected and sanctified. It is for this, today, that I am most humbly grateful.

3 comments:

Thoughtful said...

Very thoughtful. You have done a good job with your blog, keeping it up and writing intelligent entries. I am not confident enough to share mine, sorry. Though I'm sure you could get it with three guesses. Have fun with the fam.

Lanelle Barber said...

Melanie my friend. You are indeed thoughtful. And a babe. (See? I'm thoughtful too ;)And I loved your OCD post. I have a bit of experience with that myself.....however it has nothing to do with being clean and tidy. Both my mom and and now my husband wish it did though.

Angela said...

I love that lesson. I'm saving it under my "Ideas" folder for good FHE lessons/primary ideas etc. Thanks for sharing!