BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 7, 2008

Two Festivals, One Beautiful Afternoon

Spring Break ended in the best way it possibly could. Four wonderful friends, a sunny spring afternoon, a lot of kites and the kick-off of the 2008 Cherry Blossom Festival! I had spent the previous week acting as tour guide (complete with camera and map) to my mom and brother, but decided I could handle just one more day of the Mall. Emily, Jill, Amanda, Kim and I metroed (yes, that's a verb!) into L'Enfant Plaza in an attempt to avoid the masses at the Smithsonian stop. We had tried to time our entrance onto the mall to coordinate with the start of the kite battles, but we were too early.


After darting in and out of diving kites (oh wait, there were no kites diving at us... I misspoke) for a while without seeing any battles, we decided to move on to the Cherry Blossom Festival. About 100 years ago, Japan gave a number of flowering cherry trees to the United States as a gift, and they have since given rise to one of the biggest events in Washington D.C. For any tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of the flowers, the festival is held the last week of March through about the second week of April - but you have to get lucky to see them at their peak.






And here is us enjoying the afternoon.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Oh I so wish we could have made it to the Cherry Blossom Festival this year! I love all the pictures. Jeff's taking his Board exam next week(26th), but when/where are you headed in Philly? It'd be fun to meet up if it works out. I guess I just have to find out time & place of Jeff's exam since we still have one car!