BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 5, 2009

My favorite .... sculptor

I was sitting in my classroom today, planning a lesson and previewing a documentary about Baroque art, and I decided to share with you all my favorite artist. (Little surprise that he's Italian...) I'm not much of an art historian or an art critic. All I know is that this man's art is phenomenal. He uses such intricate details that you actually believe what he's trying to portray. The look of determination David's eye before he raises the sling to slay Goliath. Pluto's hand digging into Proserpina's flesh, as if she were real instead of carved from marble. St. Theresa, a look of pain and ecstasy frozen upon her face. And my absolute favorite, Daphne caught in the midst of her transformation from nymph to laurel tree. Enjoy. And visit, please. There is nothing like seeing these in the round.

Gianlorenzo Bernini

David


The Rape of Proserpina



The Ecstasy of St. Theresa


Apollo & Daphne

2 comments:

layjent said...

What I absolutely love about Bernini is he takes an action and freezes it into sculpture, at any moment you expect his sculpture to come to life and finish what they are doing. Not generally true with most sculptures.

Melanie said...

Exactly. His sculptures are so dynamic - huge contrast from Michelangelo, others in the Renaissance not too much earlier.